Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Crocus in my garden

Who on earth did not love flowers? I love and admire them very much. Flowers put colors into our life and gives brightness and inspiration in our surroundings. One of my favorite is Crocus. It may not sound familiar but it can be seen in the lawn or yards or under the trees. Crocus has more than 80 species. They are among the earliest flowers to appear in spring. In some species flowers appear some weeks before the leaves. They are mostly native to the countries around the Mediterranean Sea where they usually grow at high altitudes. Their appearance of foliage is short, rather sparse and looks like a broad leaf grass. Color of flowers are blue, violet, white, yellow or cream but some species have pink flowers. In my garden, I have a crocus with pink flowers. I really love them when they give flowers. It adds beauty in it. Though Crocus are not good cut flowers but they may last a few days in the vase.

No comments: